Monday, August 22, 2005

More Than Rumblings

I'm off for a mini-camping trip with some youth from my organization today, but I had a bit of time to check out the Democracy Now web site. I have to say I am ecstatic at the happenings at Camp Casey/Crawford, Bush's Texas ranch. I know that a lot of radical lefties probably dismiss Cindy Sheehan's protest as 'liberal' or 'not enough', I hear more than just the rumblings of an anti-war movement in the news of this ongoing act of civil disobedience, and I say it's about time.

Some highlights of the new protest:

"War is not the answer. Only love can conquer hate. If Bush is right, then Marvin [Gaye] was wrong. If Bush is right, then Mohandas Gandhi was wrong. If Bush is right, Henry David Thoreau was wrong. If Bush is right, Martin Luther King Jr. was wrong. If Bush is right, Jesus of Nazareth was wrong."--Reverend Johnson at Camp Casey

"We want [Bush] to act like an executive officer that he is supposed to be. He represents the whole of the United States. He represents all of those troops that are laying their life down for this country and die for what they thought was the good cause. I think it's just -- I think it's just a moral -- a moral sin against them to have them fighting a war and not know exactly what they're fighting for, because you lied to them."--Andrea Hackett, mother of soldier killed in Iraq

I also have to say that, no matter how much it pains me to admit it, this act of protest would not have been half as effective if some random lefties went out there and lit a candle for the fallen soldiers in Iraq. Only a mass-scale movement of everyday ordinary folks whose lives have been devastatingly impacted by this unjust war have the moral credibility to make this happen. Punto.

No comments: