Sunday, July 09, 2006

More Reasons to Love France: The French World Cup Soccer Team




I'm watching the World Cup Final right now, and although I've heard through friends (including M., a French-Algerian expat who was thrilled when France defeated Brazil last week) about the tournament and its politics, I haven't watched it at all until today. And it wasn't until this past week that I realized how much racism the predominantly Black French team has endured.

It's ironic that my last post was such an ode to Rome, Italy, and how I wrote that I'd still rather live in Paris in racist Rome, given that France is now battling Italy for the World Cup championship title. Ironic, too, that the next European destination I have in my mind for a future trip is Spain (as well as Greece and other Mediterranean countries), given how racist Spanish fans were to the French team.

I'm convinced that Black people in France are going to continue to be a radical force for change (if they can continue to organize themselves) over the next decade or so, probably the one relatively new anti-racist social movement in the world that has been able to garner international attention, similar to the civil rights movement in the U.S. But only time will tell.

So who am I rooting for? Who do ya think? I didn't study French for five years for nothing. Et alors, comment ca veut dire, 'anti-racist' en francais?

2 comments:

Rona Fernandez said...

Yeah it sucks that Zidane had to go out like that, with everyone saying that he 'should know better' blah blah blah. I hate the double standard that people of color have to live with day in and day out. I'm sure the Italian player said something crazy; why else would Zidane have done something like that?

PeonInChief said...

Did you notice that several of the French players did not sing the national anthem?