Monday, May 16, 2005

Keeping My Mind Open

Finally getting a chance to read Pema Chodron...

"...I encourage the audience to keep an open mind. This is often likened to the wonder of a child seeing the world without preconceptions. As the Zen Master Suzuki Roshi put it, 'In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."--from Pema Chodron's The Places That Scare You

I've always had a hard time when I'm not 'in the know' about topics, scenes, people. We all like to know what's going on, yes? I have a particular insecurity about being perceived as someone who's not in the loop. As I get older and more chilled out--or as I try to chill out more--I realize that being a 'beginner' and not knowing everything is actually a state of mind to aspire to. It keeps my mind open to the joys of learning new things, the possibilities of the moment.

Peace,
Rona

No comments: