Wednesday, July 14, 2004

A Day in the Life

I feel like I've been kinda heavy lately on this blog, talking about Cultural Studies this and Pinoy Poetics that. And although the first impression I may leave on many people is that I am very serious, I am really just a big kid at heart. I like to laugh and play as much as any 8-year-old. At the same time, I've also noticed that other people write about their everyday lives on their blogs, not just the exciting or deep stuff, but the mundane stuff too, the stuff that makes us typical, common, human.

So no more quotes for today and no more deep thoughts. Just a run-down of all the boring things I did:

1. Went to the doctor to get my ear checked at 7:40AM (yes, 7:40AM) after convincing H. to drive me all the way downtown so I wouldn't have to leave an extra 1/2 hour earlier to take the bus. H. is a habitual late-riser, so getting up at 6:30am was no small feat. In fact, he is sleeping as I write at 11:06pm, when he usually shuts down the ol' G4 and comes to bed no earlier than 2am most nights. Pobrecito.

The doctor told me to take some allergy medicine, that my eustachian tube is probably blocked and blah blah blah. I've heard it all before. I took the sample of nasal steroids she gave me but don't know if I'm going to take them just yet. I think I want to try acupunture again first. Steroids up your nose..eeesshh :-P.

2. Wrote poetry and novel-stuff in a cafe 'til 9:30am. I've been averaging about 8 pages a day lately--that's a lot for me!--which makes me want to get down and kiss the feet of the Goddess of Prolificness (that's actually a word! I just looked it up in my brand-new American Heritage Dictionary--a cool one, btw). After many years of self-imposed writer's block, I can't begin to describe how much it means to be able to write freely--and well.

3. Went to work. Stuffed lots of envelopes. Stuck lots of stamps on them. Talked about fundraising. Met with a donor. Checked email. Printed out phone lists. Yes, it was an exciting day.

4. Went grocery shopping, came home, cooked dinner. The best part of a long day is having a sweet and loving partner at home waiting to talk all about it with you. I know we're sappy, but we're happy!

So, there. Not very heavy, not very funny, pretty fuckin' boring. But sometimes that's the way life is. And sometimes that's a good thing. And sometimes you just don't feel like analyzing it. 'Nuff said.

G'night-
R.

No comments: