Sunday, July 11, 2004

A New Home

So I got a little excited yesterday about diving into the world of blogging and started an account with a subpar host, where my old blog lives. I think I'll stay here for a while. Thanks Gura M. for the referral.

Speaking of new homes, I'll be looking for a one soon, which always brings up lots of emotions, from excitement to fear, anxiety to happiness. Having been living in an apartment with my partner in a land faraway from my Oakland homies, I must say I can't wait to get back to my true "home" in the East. And I've been hearing from folks that it's a lot easier to find good, relatively affordable space in Oaktown than it has been in the past few years.

So if any of y'all know any good spots opening up soon in Oakland, gimme a holler. Much appreciation in advance.

I'll be going to see Lila Downs sing at the Stern Grove Music Festival today. For those who might not know who this amazing diva is, if you saw the excellent movie "Frida" with Salma Hayek, Lila is the powerhouse Mexicana singer who appears (and sings) in two key scenes--the one where Frida (Hayek) and Tina Modotti (Ashley Judd) dance a drunken, lusty tango in front of a crowd of party-goers, and the one at the end when Frida is near death and has been carried to her first Mexican exhibit in her bed.

Lila reminds me--and I'm sure a lot of people--of Frida, too, with her traditional Mexican clothes and jewelry, long black braids and intense eyes.

The Stern Grove Summer Music Festival is FREE (although you gotta show up early to get good seats--I'm gonna be there at noon for the 2pm show) and if you've never been out there you should go soon. I might go check out Youssou N'Dour & the West African Highlife Band next Sunday.

Okay, I'm starting to feel like an ad copy writer for these folks, and you know they ain't payin' me sh*t to promote them, so I'll stop here. ;-)

Have a blessed day,
Rona

1 comment:

Rona Fernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.